Tuesday 3 March 2009

RF Kill switch, Suspend and other demons on Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Li 2735

Some time ago I have bought a cheap Fujitsu-Siemens (AMILO Li 2735 model) laptop on a refurbish sale. I don't know whether it was the smartest idea, it looks like the guys at Fujitsu Siemens had nothing else but Windows Vista in mind when they designed this spartan model :-/ ...

My first problem was the software wireless/RF killswitch which works with Vista after installing Fujitsu-Simenes drivers (you need to press Fn+F1), but not out of the box on Linux/others OS'es. The not-so-obvious solution to this problem was to use the acerhk module.

The second problem was that the CPU (T5450 1.66Ghz): while it's a Core 2 Duo CPU, it lacks the virtualization support needed to run 64bit OS'es under VMware (among the last ones not supporting Intel VT). Well, I guess it's just my bad luck for this one...

Now the third problem that I'm struggling with is that suspending in Ubuntu is broken, and I have tried both 8.10 and 9.04 alpha. The weird thing is that if I boot from the LiveCD suspending works (although not too many times, SquashFS errors keep accumulating), but if I boot from an installation made from the very same LiveCD then I have no chance to correctly resume from suspend — it's doing a weird "powerup/powerdown/powerup/hang" cycle. There is a bug filed for the (similar) Li 2732 model which was at one point closed as fixed in the Jaunty alpha versions when tested from the LiveCD but I had to reopen it since it doesn't work from an HDD install...

If any of you has some ideas for this issue please leave me a comment. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment